Wyvern – roguelike-MUD; it’s something in the middle of this two genres; inspired by NetHack, Crossfire & other oldschool games. It’s pretty deep game with rich world, much deeper than modern MMORPGs
Currently it works @ mobiles – Android/iOS. PC client comming soon, right now to play at PC you have to use Android emulator; I recommend MEMU ( http://www.memuplay.com/ ) for Windows and Anbox ( https://anbox.io/ ) for Linux).
This is my 1st time in Wyvern, first impressions:
Wyvern RPG progression curve: newbie impression
Currently I’m lvl 10 dwarf and I wanna join paladins guild. I was surprised that it’s so hard to do – you need to pay 100k gold and complete quest which isn’t possible to solve at level 10 (for a new player at least).
For me as a newbie it wasn’t easy to get to lvl 10 and instead of kinda ‘promotion’ player get very hard obstables to get a ‘class’ (joining a guild it’s like obtain a class in other RPG).
I mean – after hard work you expect reward. It has to be carrot and stick, not only stick. It’s fun when you go through hard things for some time and get your reward. Going from lvl 6 to lvl 10 wasn’t easy and I though “I need to hold on just some more, soon I’ll get my class and then I’ll be able not to bungle so much”. I didn’t expect that there is so huge pre-reqs to join guild and it was a bit dissapointing to recognize them.
I think the best RPG progression:
1) you learn, you make mistakes, you die and have fun
2) you learned your lessons and now you go through some… ok, grindy stuff. But still it’s fun.
3) you get your reward for hard times and get new abilities, new powers. Mobs also become harder – but you become stronger too.
Maybe I misunderstood something and to join a guild, you supposed to use crowns; I don’t wanna crowns now, cause I want to have totally newbie experience, like most of players had with their first char.
Please, guys, could you tell your story? Do you remember your first character? How did you get to the guild?
PC client for Wyvern (roguelike-MUD)
It would be GREAT to have PC-like version of the game. It could be even not stand-alone client, but still Android application package, but with some preset features, suitable for comfortable gaming at PC.
1) predefined aliases for Num Pad
– move to all directions with numpad 1-9 (now you have to create it from scratch for each character)
– ‘face’ to all directions with Shift+(numpad 1-9)
// currently alliaces for numpad+shift doesn’t work
2) possibility to show/hide UI elements with a hotkey. EX: no need to have inventory opened all the time, I would prefer to have bigger message window
3) possibility to re-adjust UI elements at the screen.
4) to be able to have game window (graphical part of the game) a bit wider. I got 27′ display and it would be great to have possibility to increase width of game window for ~30% (it would be possible without harm if there would be possibility to hide inventory tab)
5) possibility to put aliases for F1-F12 keys
6) possiblity to assign aliases to additional mouse buttons
7) possibility to hold mouse button all the time to move around (like in ‘Diablo’ games) – so player wouldn’t need to click all the time.
Please… It would be so comfortable to play with all this stuff
Random Dungeons (RD) suggestions: possibility to go to the previous deepth and random quests
My favorite place in the game so far – Random Dungeons. They give pretty unique roguelikish experience with a lot of unexpected situations, exploration and danger. Also it has very good ratio of RISK vs REWARD (it’s harder to fight with unknown monsters, but there is treasure rooms). And also it’s the less grindy gaming experience ever
There is only one big problem: to go back from town to depth which you visited last time.
My typical pattern is: I go to lvl 8 or 9 of RD and my inventory space is full; I have to go back to town (it’s quite rare to meet shops in RD) to sell the loot. And then, to get back to lvl 8 from town I have to spend a lot of time; it’s kinda boring thing to go through loads of empty rooms or lvls with weak monsters…
It would be fun to have certain magic scroll (Scroll of Deep Descent), which would bring you to the previous depth which you discovered. Lets it would be even not quite cheap scroll, but still I prefer to spend some gold to get back to interesting stuff, then have boring way back.
And another suggestion – to add ‘random quests’ for RD. For example:
– to kill 5-10-20 certain monsters (it could be monster types or specific species, EX: dragonkin, pirates, undeads, oozes & etc)
– hunt down especially powerful enemy (suitable for player lvl)
– taste water from 10 fountain (funny quest – to check is water OK or there has to go kobold-workers to fix it hehe)
– find 5 treasures (in trap rooms)
– find 10 mushrooms & etc…
All this stuff has to be done only in RD of course
There also could be more complex quests – to do certain staff in limited time; it would be interesting challenge for high lvl chars.
The reward could be much less then quests in ‘regular’ world. It could be something like 1 quest point per quest; but at least then there would be an alternative for people who like RD very much. It would make RD adventures even more fun.
Neutral creatures: option to do not attack them
It would be great to have an in-game option (or special console command) to forbid attack of ‘neutral’ creatures. Today I went to the Cave in Davos and had a lot of problems with neutral creatures – chickens, elves and other nice friends – I accidentally attack them loads of times.
I like to have some RP-ideas about my gameplay and prefer do not attack friendly creatures. It would be awesome to have an in-game option which would make you movement towards neutral target as a ‘poke’ action, to make them move (so if you stuck they wouldn’t block door or corridor). Or if it’s hard to implement – just to look at them instead of attacking.
Minor suggestions about Wyvern
Sounds of battle
It would be fun to add sounds of battle – when someone hit you or you hit someone; sound for each blow.
Would make more understandable what’s going on in battle
A lot of sounds could be taken there: http://www.freesound.org/
Newbie Towers at Alaria
– I’m lvl 8 dwarf; wanna become paladin.
– I’m at Alaria
It would be fun to have more content in Alaria’s newbie towers, make more corridors there, more lvls with orcs/ogres and other ‘casual’ monsters. I do not like fighting at giant houses (it’s boring grind: come-and-run to heal), but I’m kinda forced to do it, especially when there are several players in Alaria and not enough monsters to everyone…
Some players would prefer exploring levels, than sneaking into houses of giants and then back to hospital (it looks like running to WC after giants rip you off lol). So.. Right now you have to wait quite long time till monsters in Newbie Towers would respawn, so maybe make this towers bigger?
Yep, there are a lot of places, but as a newbie player you do not have information – where to go. So the only reference point – http://wiki.wyvernsource.com/index.php/Leveling
I have no idea where is Ziggurat or Magetown Well is. It would be good to give new players something like ‘tour around the world’ – to show where to go. Right now there is quest ‘Wyvern post scroll’, but it don’t give information about the world.