We are welcome you to join to our discord-channel!
- Permadeath mode — if a character dies, he loses all experience (exept quest-maps, where is penalty 10%). Actually, this is a roguelike ‘HardCore’ mode from Diablo 2-3, when you die you lose character; in our case everything is much softer — you still have money, spells, used potions and, if you can pick them up… your goods!
- PvP is allowed only at the quest-maps without any restrictions; on other maps – is prohibited by software;
- Balance: body +1; at the same time quest items are not imbalance and are quite competitive in PvP with store-fullset ;
- The maximum level of each skill is 110. In addition to the leveling fan, this makes permadeath are not so tough, because you can quickly pump in the main skill without fear of overgrowth (see the next paragraph) and return to the end-game content;
- The restriction on entry to maps of low difficulty is disabled. For example, you can enter a character with skill 110 on the map lvl “easy”; skill overgrowth is no longer a problem;
- Rebance of warrior and mage: mage – “glass gun” with AoE; warrior – tenacious focus-damage with expensive scrolls;
- Your character starts the game naked, with only one weapon (or staff) in hands; the mage initially does not even have a magical shield, it must be bought;
- Registration to the hat goes with the verification of the account by phone through the gmail account; this makes possible to ensure that violators of the rules are not able to easily create new accounts;
- Spells rebalance. The player’s progress in terms of spells and scrolls is completely changed: realized gradual vertical progress of the mage’s leveling – each spell is a kind of step similar to the steps of a warrior (steel-mithril-adamant-meteorite-crystal);
- Some spells have changed parameters; for example, lightning now deals a wider range of damage, and fire always burns about the same;
- Changed the resistance of monsters; in particular, increased resistance to magic for trolls, ogres, and dragons;
- Staves removed from stores; they can only be knocked out from monsters or obtained as a reward for quest in a tavern;
- Redundant taverns have been removed from maps of medium and hard level (stat potions is accessible only from dragons, not by mail-quests in tavern);
- There are five servers on the hat; one for each difficulty (to concentrate the community); explaination for beginners: at each difficulty level there are several different maps that change periodically;
- Only vanilla (1999 year!) maps are on the hat; however, they are rebalanced under permadeath. In total, there are about two dozen maps in rotation – the vast majority of them are classic maps ”from the original RoM2 disk”;
- All maps have been redone; bugs, vulnerabilities, dishonest spots are closed on them (for example, gaps which allowed to beat trolls and ogres from inaccessible places are closed);
- Added new areas, monsters and terrain elements. For the “easy” maps the priority is placed on small-sized maps (so as not to “smear” the population of beginners in large spaces).
- Unique balance of quest maps created by Nikolai aka Juggernaut;
- Balanced (and working) health potions; treated three times weaker than vanilla;
- For quests in taverns there is many rewards (money, objects, etc), but no experience; this makes game progress more balanced and close to the original singleplayer balance RoM2;
- For the server is used one of the latest ZZYZX‘s assemblies with applied patches to fix bugs, vision and so on;
Market added (click to expand)
At a ”hard” lvl maps a market has been added – based on the central Middle store (meteor). Market – these are three stores with a divided assortment. Nothing essentially changes, except that it takes less time to sit in this store. There was a comment in the discord: ”why it is needed, the more difficult the better…” etc. I answer: complexity is needed where skill is in battle. But the number of tedious moments in the game needs to be reduced, there’s no need many skill to sit out pants in the shop. Another thing is that remains rare combinations of things with body with other parameters, so that shop-fishing in dangerous stores remains relevant;
Constant rebalance of the game (click to expand)
Explain the concept – if something is too popular, then the players (they are always smart and choose what is best) – find it more attractive and it needs to be nerfed. Thus, there must be an eternal, never-ending rebalance of the game – here the warrior is corrected, here the mage, there are mobs, there are objects, there are spells and so on to infinity. Try to look at the game not as a player who seeks profit, but as a person who wants to make the game better and more interesting. For example, in terms of monsters – the sense of rebalance is that there is no giant gap between the mobs. So that the player had the task to choose where to go. The more alternatives – the better. When the gameplay comes down to farming one type of creature, this requires rebalance. Before dragons were killed only with scrolls of hail. It is not right. There must be diversity, so now they have a high resistance to it. Everything that is introduced is negotiable. Test and make suggestions in discord;
“Raid” end-game content (click to expand)
On quest-maps of Hat is always there are places, which is almost impossible to clean (well, that is, you need at least 5 skill players). There is a very rare treasure. A place like this on a hat is such a smaaaaal nut that no one has yet been able to crack. Well, if you suddenly clean it the same way – another nut will be added, even more tough and interesting. In essence, this system is similar to WoW raids – so that there is always end game content that no one has reached; it brings purpose to the game;
- Fair play – a special system of rules; all are equal on the hat, no ”gifts’, no cheating; and there is no pay-2-win: for donate you can’t get anything in the game.
https://github.com/igroglaz/a2mgr — client
https://github.com/igroglaz/redhat — hat
https://github.com/igroglaz/rom2me — editor
https://github.com/igroglaz/rom2maps — maps and constructor of data
http://tangar.info/allods2/zapusk-servera-heta-v-allody-2 — guide how launch a hat (in Russian)
We invite everyone to work together; some features of the hat’s game design are presented in the hat draft-documentation.
How to start playing:
0) caferully read the rules;
1) register by filling out the form;
2) install RoM2 client (download); if you got Windows 10 – look below for instruction
Attention! The entire singleplayer campaign was cut from our client. If you want to go through the plot of the game – I recommend to buy the game from GOG.
3) edit file ‘allods2.cfg’, parameter ‘z_language’ to ‘english’
4) launch the game;
5) choose “Server” (globe) -> Softcore (PvE)
6) enter login – it is your gmail address in which all points, pluses, dashes are converted to underscores, for example:
for firstname.lastname@example.org – the login will be: samrom2
for email@example.com – the login will be: samrom2
for firstname.lastname@example.org – the login will be: samrom2
7) the password is ID, which you entered in the registration form
Please note that account registration take up to 24 hours and be patient.
Attention! If you have Windows 10 build 1903 – you can only play through the virtual machine – download VirtualBox or any other emulator and install Windows 7 on it 🙂 RoM2 is not gluttonous game, it flies on the virtual machine really fast.
If you have a different version of Windows 10, but the game does not start, try the following:
1. if the game displays purple, then after installing the patch:
– download DXwnd and unzip the folder from the archive anywhere
– open Dxwnd.exe; click RMB on an empty space and select ‘Add’
– select the Rage of Mages 2 executable file (rom2.exe)
– the game icon appears – can be launched by dxwnd
2. If this does not help to start the game:
Download and unzip to the folder with RoM2 ddraw
3. If this does not help:
1) delete Rage of Mages 2
2) download and install the gog’s client
3) copy our client to the folder with client RoM2 from the gog (replacing all files with new ones)
4) launch the game by the gog’s desktop shortcut *
* If it does not start through the Gog’s shortcut, make a shortcut to the client on the desktop (rom2.exe) and run it “from the administrator” and in compatibility mode with “Windows 98 / Windows Me”.
5) if it does not help, play only through the virtual machine, see above.
Maps, game design: GM Nikolai
Hat works on an assembly created by Exciton and ZZYZX; Thanks to Anotomix for helping with the initial hat setup, and thanks for helping with the launch of ZZYZX, Nikolai, WarBeginner, ILIUS, Zhuxus, Chariot and all alloders!